iBook update

My last update submitted to the iBooks Store was April 21, and it is still listed as “under review” (so two weeks). I think the next time I submit it, I’m going to change the category to Medicine / Education – as the next version will have medical apps in it. Hopefully that will improve the turn-around time on the review process.

As I processed Jay’s presentations, I found myself struggling with the structure of the eBook. I wasn’t sure how best to layout the eBook so that it flowed. I’ve now moved the apps into a flow that aligns with the structure that Jay has been introducing in his presentation. First, apps that replace physical objects, then apps that enhance physical objects, and finally apps that do things we couldn’t do with physical objects. The idea is that one is not “better” then the other, it is just a progression that represents a way to think about different apps. The categorization helps when evaluating new apps.

With the creation of the eBook, I’m struggling with the structure of the website. I’ve been structuring the website to align more with the workshop structure (so Ice Breaker activities, Skills Lab Tutorials, and Case Vignettes). The eBook is more of a reference that flows from start to finish – so the Apps are just placed in the eBook based upon the categorization structure rather than activity structure. I think this is actually going to work / make sense – since people don’t read the website linearly – the website is really just a resource that is accessed when someone wants to look something up. I do visualize someone “browsing” through the pages of the eBook.

My goal for today is to finish the edits to the eBook for the workshop. With any luck, I’ll send in a new version / update to the Apple Store and cross my fingers that the update gets approved within a week. If I only knew what was causing the delay, I might be able to do something to help move it along.

Recording demos

I’ve been processing the video recordings from the first workshop, and when I attempted to write up some of the medical apps, it occurred to me that there was no way I’d be able to do the demos. I just don’t know the language. It would require a lot of memorization, but also would be very artificial. I needed to get one of the docs to record the demos.

I booked a 90 minute meeting in Jay’s office and asked him to record the demos. I’m thankful that he was up for the task. When I got there, of course there were some connectivity issues. They way I record demos is that I used an app called Reflector that uses AirPlay over shared Wifi to project the iPad on the screen. I then use Screencast-o-matic to record what is on the screen. Unfortunately, in hospital networks (and other organizational networks) the security on the networks prevents the broadcast that is needed for AirPlay. I planned on just using my laptop to create an ad hoc network, but that didn’t work – the iPad wasn’t showing the AirPlay icon. Fortunately, I have tethering on my iPhone – so I setup my iPhone as a hotspot, hooked up both my laptop and Jay’s iPad (I don’t have the apps installed), and we were ready to record.

In less than an hour we recorded five demos, which I shall write up and include in the iBook.

I am hoping that now that I have several demos recorded by Jay, that I can find other physicians willing to record demos. It would be awesome if we had a series of physician-led demos (chapters) for the eBook and website. For me, the collection of teaching tips that comes with the demos is one of the more useful / valuable aspects of this project.